Going Nuts Might Be Good For You
You've heard it so often, you don't even listen. Diets low in fat and high in fibre, fruits, vegetables and grain products will keep you healthy and wise! The often-repeated facts might bore you but that's not a good enough reason to ignore them.
We've thrown in some fun food facts along with some more serious, helpful ones in the hope that a spoonful of sugar might make the medicine go down easier.
Did you know...
• Tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits.
• One glass of cranberry juice per day can help stave off urinary tract infections.
• Grape juice contains powerful disease-fighting antioxidants that lower the risk of developing the blood clots that lead to heart attacks.
• Garlic stimulates the immune system, helping to prevent illnesses from colds to cancers.
• There is nothing magical about nutrition bars. Some nutrition bars have as much sugar and saturated fat as a chocolate bar.
• Laboratory rats fed a blueberry-rich diet outperformed other rats negotiating their way through a maze. Maybe mum is right – you are what you eat!
• Broccoli has more vitamin C than an orange, as much calcium as a glass of milk and three times more fibre than a slice of whole wheat bread.
• Chemicals in chocolate affect levels of the body's mood-affecting chemicals as well as increase "good" cholesterol by as much as 10%. These facts demote it from a wicked indulgence to a guilty pleasure...one we all deserve!